Vampire: Masquerade / Dark Ages / Requiem
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dagon

Kyrgyzstan
895 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2005 :  12:07:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After a look through the rulebooks again last night, I think this is doable without disolving into a messy Paranoia-esque bloodbath.

Differences between the three systems and settings:

Masquerade and Dark ages use the same system of dice pools and stats. The big difference between Masquerade and Requiem is that Req uses the new World Of Darkness rules, and as a result means things are a bit more streamlined. The old rules had a reputation for causing the players to roll "buckets o' dice" during combat situations (although nothing like as many as Exalted where each player could end up rolling over 100 dice per round. Yuk.). Under the new system, things are much more "One load of dice decides all" but as a result some people have complained that certain things have been oversimplified - specifically the lack of soaking damage which means that bashing and lethal have become almost the same thing. In essence, this dramatically reduces the advantage of guns over melee weapons. (In fact, this may be deliberate on the part of White Wolf, as the bias towards melee weapons in the Bloodlines computer game indicates.)

Setting wise, Dark Ages is a historic setting (and I'm guessing we're counting that one out). Masquerade and Requiem are both contemporary, and put a little bit of a different spin on things. In Masquerade, there's a war going on between two major rival factions of vampires. Reqiuem has the different factions, but no war as of yet. Requiem also features some rather cool ideas not seen in Masquerade. To be honest, I don't see why elements from both settings can't be merged together to produce a more interesting whole.

One of the reasons Requiem was created is some people were finding Masquerade hard to break into. Over the ten plus years it'd been around, so much backstory, lore, and additional information had sprung up. New players were supposedly finding it like running into a brick wall. Reqiuem, being a new start, has much less game history to learn. But, to be honest, all this "Oh, there's too much backstory" sound like the fault of the GM. Part of the fun in this type of game is discovering the new world, and the fact that your ignorance of social conventions, powers, danger areas and threats can land you in hot water makes for great roleplaying and adventure seeds.

Pee Po Belly Bum Drawers.

KrakaHead
Jedi Master

United Kingdom
822 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2005 :  18:28:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have played vamp masq as well as mage asc and wear' appoc. I like the system, but I don't like the fact that you have to get 6 billion books to play it.

although I think you can get away with the core for a while or so i have been told.

The group I played with were discouraged from back stabbing by the Prince? of the area as it could expose them and cause a witch hunt or something like that and if the society was ever at risk then all members were as good as dead... the threat had a lot of weight in game as the dm played a proper nasty piece of work as the prince....

"On the whole human beings want to be good, but not too good and not quite all the time" - George Orwell
Go to Top of Page

Dagon

Kyrgyzstan
895 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2005 :  20:07:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's one of my main gripes with White Wolf. They mention a concept that sounds very cool, then say "full details of which will be given in a forthcoming book". Grrrr. Until recently, I had muchos Dark Ages, Werewolf, Mage and Wraith stuff, but sold most of it. Still got Changeling, Vampire and Exalted stuff.... Although I'm open to offers on my Exalted collection. I don't think I'll ever run it, especially with the need for fifty billion dice per round.

Vampire itself can be run without most of the supliments. I'm wondering about the new edition - Already they've made it so you have to buy the core "World Of Darkness" rulebook as well as the Requiem rules.

Edited by - Dagon on 01 Sep 2005 20:09:59
Go to Top of Page

Dagon

Kyrgyzstan
895 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2005 :  11:20:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If we do a spot of Vampire, does anyone have any preferences as to where in the world it's set? We could quite easily do a UK based campaign, although that might limit the use of firearms. Personally, from a campaign construction point of view, I'd prefer to have a city rather than a metropolis; so if it's in the UK, we're looking at Edinburgh, or Manchester, etc, rather than the whole of London - although a suburb, or smaller region, of London might work well. If you're wanting one in the US or Canada, places like Toronto, Edmonton, Chicago, Boston, etc, would work better than New York.

The reason for wanting a smaller city is twofold - One, It means there's more focus in the campaign, rather than a sprawling cast of thousands; and Two, a smaller city is needed due to certain ideas I have for the campaign. So there.

If we do a test run, do people want to use pre-gens and the sample demo adventure, or create characters and actually go through the opening sections of the campaign idea I have?

Go to Top of Page

Dagon

Kyrgyzstan
895 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2005 :  19:12:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Duck Town sounds like the best place in the world. But Vampires are scared of ducks.

Go to Top of Page

Dagon

Kyrgyzstan
895 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2005 :  20:01:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Duckula ****s himself every time he sees his feet.

Go to Top of Page

Dagon

Kyrgyzstan
895 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2005 :  12:14:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think so.

Go to Top of Page

Dagon

Kyrgyzstan
895 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2005 :  18:54:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If we're doing the test sessions "as live", can you all start thinking about what characters you'd like to play. The game will either be set in America or Canada (If you have a serious suggestion for another location, speak now), and characters can have pretty much any background you want; Burger chef to advertising executive, burglar to SWAT officer - it's all good. Remember, though, that you could potentially be using these characters for a fair while, so if you have any really unusual ideas please run them by me. You'll also be starting with an "average joe" level of experience, so it's unlikely that your character will be mayor of the city or a top SAS operative.
I'd like it if you painted your characters with a degree of moral ambiguity; there should be some reason as to WHY they start to accept the change that they've undergone and a motivation within their character / past that will keep them functioning. Think of one virtue and one vice that will sum up the character. Note down a few mortal contacts and any standout relationships that might feature in the game. Remember that you will be brand spanking new vampires and, as such, will have no supernatural contacts.

As for the type of vampire you become, you'll be from one of the five main clans:
Daeva - Seductive and manipulative predators, known for their beauty and grace.
Gangrel - Savage beastlike vampires, frequently severing all ties to the mortal world.
Mekhet - Stealthy hunters and lovers of shadow.
Nosferatu - Disturbing and powerful, the stuff of nightmares.
Ventrue - Aristocratic and ambitious, but at a cost.

Each clan has its own special powers and abilities. We'll go through them in more detail later. This is the New World Of Darkness, so there are some subtle changes as to how each clan functions.

Go to Top of Page

Dagon

Kyrgyzstan
895 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2005 :  11:52:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Moscow could be interesting. It was great when they actually moved the whole city out of Russia and blu-tacked it onto the side of Europe. Prague could also be good.

Whatever people prefer I'll need to know very soon, as it'll clearly have an impact on certain things within the game.

Go to Top of Page

Dagon

Kyrgyzstan
895 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2005 :  14:55:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup - I was referring to what happened in '91. Should have said "Soviet Union" rather than "Russia" but, as I am God, it doesn't matter.

The good thing about using Moscow as a setting is that it gives us an excuse to watch the excellent Russian vampire movie Nigh****ch, drink vast amounts of my home-made flavoured vodka, and stuff ourselves silly with food from my many Russian cookery books.

Edited by - Dagon on 26 Sep 2005 14:57:56
Go to Top of Page

Dagon

Kyrgyzstan
895 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2005 :  14:59:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Holy socks. Night-Watch. Autocensor = T-wat.

Go to Top of Page

Dies_Irae

United Kingdom
652 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2005 :  15:10:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

To his senses ?

>Its true. If you come round I will demonstrate.

Go to Top of Page

admin
God's assistant

264 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2005 :  20:06:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Noone will ever guess the random magic word. They will drive themselves mad going round in circles trying to get it.

quote:
[i]Originally posted by wilsh[/i]
[br]
quote:
[i]Originally posted by Dagon[/i]
[br]Holy socks. Night-Watch. Autocensor = T-wat.

Have stopped the bad word filter from censoring 'twat', have left it censoring words such as ******, as they are rarely acceptable.

Have also put in a random magic word. Guess what ordinary word is auto censored and win a mystery star prize! Graham can't play.

[Surely "Graham" should activate the autocensor - Ed]

Tremble and despair, for I am power!
Go to Top of Page

Dagon

Kyrgyzstan
895 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2005 :  22:02:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
roundabout?

Go to Top of Page

Dies_Irae

United Kingdom
652 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2005 :  12:34:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

isnt the word twat the same as cnut ? i dont see how that can be mild. you should uncensure cnut now too. i dont see why i cant say 'you cnuting fcukhead' if i can say 'you twatting fcukhead'.

> the word twat seemed a bit mild, compared to the other profanities >that are censored, so I took it upon myself to do it.
Go to Top of Page

Dagon

Kyrgyzstan
895 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2005 :  14:28:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not according to Browning its not.

Then owls and bats
Cowls and twats
Monks and nuns in a cloister's moods
Adjourn to the oak-stump pantry.

But, according to the OED it means Furry Front Bottom, Twit, and Buttocks. I always understood it to mean Twit until I moved to Manchester, and I still can't think of it as anything else. Plus it is a silly word.

Go to Top of Page

Dagon

Kyrgyzstan
895 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2005 :  14:30:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyways - Back to the topic:

Moscow is an excellent idea. It ties in with the themes well, and also opens up other ones. Well done, Sir Graham.

Go to Top of Page

Dies_Irae

United Kingdom
652 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2005 :  20:24:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

oh. so we can you call you twat repeatedly and you wont mind ?

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Dagon[/i]
[br]Not according to Browning its not.

Then owls and bats
Cowls and twats
Monks and nuns in a cloister's moods
Adjourn to the oak-stump pantry.

But, according to the OED it means Furry Front Bottom, Twit, and Buttocks. I always understood it to mean Twit until I moved to Manchester, and I still can't think of it as anything else. Plus it is a silly word.

Go to Top of Page

Dagon

Kyrgyzstan
895 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2005 :  22:05:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can call me twat as much as you like, as long as I can call you Schnookylumps.

Go to Top of Page

Dies_Irae

United Kingdom
652 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2005 :  00:23:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Why would anyone call someone 'anything enough' ?

quote:
[br]
quote:
[i]Originally posted by Dies_Irae[/i]
[br]
oh. so we can you call you twat repeatedly and you wont mind ?

If you call anyone anything enough it gets annoying. For example, if I repeatedly called you 'Veronica' you'd probably end up getting all shirty.

Go to Top of Page

Dagon

Kyrgyzstan
895 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2005 :  01:52:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cos that person was so named by hippy parents?

Go to Top of Page

Dies_Irae

United Kingdom
652 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2005 :  13:00:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Personally I'd prefer if you did a 20s Cthulhu game, but I'll go with the flow.

quote:
[i]Originally posted by snorg[/i]
[br]Its true. If you come round I will demonstrate.

Are we settling on some form of vampire trial then?

quote:
[br]Yeah, Graham does that too.

Go to Top of Page

KrakaHead
Jedi Master

United Kingdom
822 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2005 :  11:04:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
don't think I have seen the russian vampire film film night watch - I have seen a LOT of vampire films though in my dark and distant past...

the russian settings sounds like a cool idea, but it keeps making me think of Blade. Although the idea of a gang of Vampires going round "educating" vampires who are being to obvious which could threaten an inquisition and thus a vampire hunt sounds like an interesting concept....

"On the whole human beings want to be good, but not too good and not quite all the time" - George Orwell
Go to Top of Page

KrakaHead
Jedi Master

United Kingdom
822 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2006 :  13:19:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just sent you an e-mail, with my character details. and a few questions.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snorgs Pit of Putrification © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.3 sec. Snitz Forums 2000